GameStop District Manager Austin North/Central Texas in Pflugerville, Texas
The District Leader also known as "District Manager" role is similar to an innovative business entrepreneur and owner, with special emphases on comp sales, used sales, talent retention, trades, customer experience, and loss prevention. Within GameStop's broadly defined parameters, District Managers have the autonomy, authority, and responsibility to inspire outstanding business results through others as the leaders of their district's performance development strategy.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
• Attract, develop, and retain top talent by creating a positive, supportive, results-based work environment.
• Directly influence the talent development and business results of several field teams through GameStop's global performance management strategy and related tools, such as development planners and performance worksheets.
• Ensure that successful on-boarding and development occurs throughout the district.
• Communicate the potential that others have to grow with GameStop, including career path information.
• Encourage outstanding business results by focusing on specific behaviors and outcomes. Use the STAR/AR feedback model, Interaction Guidelines, and Key Principles when interacting with others.
• Personally model the professional conduct expected of all GameStop leaders.
• Respond favorably and quickly to all business opportunities identified through sales reports, profit and loss statements, turnover reports and exit interview data, store visit reports, audits, compliance reporting, and customer service data.
• Validate that stores are scheduling based on sales trends and business needs.
• Empower store teams to act quickly and creatively to resolve customer issues, and respond effectively to customer issues elevated to the multi-unit or corporate level within three days.
• Review stores' shrink results, conduct post inventory counts, and report results to Inventory Control in a timely manner.
• Collaborate with the Regional Loss Prevention Manager to respond favorably to all shrink reduction and safety opportunities.
• Monitor stores' appearance and ensure all company standards are maintained.
• Discuss store relays and promotions with each Store Manager to ensure accurate and timely execution.
• Planning and Organizing - Establishing course of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
o Prioritizes - Identifies more critical and less critical activities and assignments; adjusts priorities when appropriate.
o Determines tasks and resources - Determines project/assignment requirements by breaking them down into tasks and identifying types of equipment, materials, and people needed.
o Schedules - Allocates appropriate amounts of time for completing own and others' work; avoids scheduling conflicts; develops timelines and milestones.
o Leverages resources - Takes advantage of available resources (individuals, processes, departments, and tools) to complete work efficiently; coordinates with internal and external partners.
o Stays focused - Uses time effectively and prevents irrelevant issues or distractions from interfering with work completion.
• Gaining Commitment - Using appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one's own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations, and individuals involved.
o Opens discussions effectively. Describes expectations, goals, requests, or future states in a way that provides clarity and excites interest.
o Clarifies the current situation. Seeks, gives, and summarizes information; ensures that the situation/issue at hand is understood.
o Develops others' and own ideas. Presents own ideas; seeks and develops suggestions of others; makes procedural suggestions.
o Facilitates agreement. Uses appropriate influence strategies (such as demonstrating benefits or giving rewards) to gain agreement; persists by using different approaches as needed to gain commitment.
o Closes discussions with clear summaries. Summarizes outcomes of discussions and establishes next steps (if needed).
o Establishes good interpersonal relationships. In words and actions, makes people feel valued, appreciated, and included (enhances self-esteem, empathizes, involves, discloses, supports).
• Adaptability - Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
o Tries to understand changes. Tries to understand changes in tasks, situations, and environment as well as the logic or basis for change; seeks information about changes.
o Approaches change or newness positively. Treats change and new situations as opportunities for learning or growth; focuses on the beneficial aspects of change; speaks positively about the change to others.
o Adjusts behaviors. Quickly modifies behavior to deal effectively with changes in the work environment; readily tries new approaches appropriate for new or changed situations; does not persist with ineffective behaviors.
• Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills - Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
o Marketing knowledge. Understands and uses effective marketing techniques to support the region's and the individual's objectives and maximize the return on its marketing dollars.
o Financial management knowledge. Understands basic finance (e.g., financial analysis, accounting, budgeting) and can use financial data to accurately diagnose business conditions, identify key issues, and develop strategies and plans.
o Industry knowledge. Understands the industry and the factors that can affect regional and corporate goals; uses industry knowledge in planning and decision making.
o Keeps up to date. Stays abreast of current developments and trends in all relevant technical and professional areas.
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
• 3 years of successful, related experience as a multi-unit manager required.
• Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science from a regionally accredited college or university in a related field of study, such as business administration, is required, although equivalent experience may be accepted as a substitute.
• Proven ability to work productively with others, welcome and adapt well to change, communicate thoughts and feelings effectively, and receive and respond to feedback from others maturely.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
• Strong understanding of what is needed to motivate and retain top talent.
• Proven ability to achieve outstanding business results through others, from a distance.
• Proven commitment to self-directed learning, peer mentoring, and use of all GameStop development resources.
• Ability to travel unaccompanied and unassisted if necessary, including overnight stays.
• Strong customer service skills, including clear verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills, with ability to handle multiple, detailed projects.
• Proficient use of electronic business tools: laptop computers, computer applications, in-store systems, and communications devices.
• Ability to move unassisted throughout stores for extended periods (up to 12 hours per day).
• Ability to lift and/or move objects and displays (up to 50 lbs.), bend, stoop, reach with arms and hands, and climb on ladders.